Thursday, January 24, 2008

So, Am I One Of Them?

Everyone was so busy about teachers' day. Students were running round the campus planning for an ambush for their fave sensei's on the early rise of 7:00 a.m. My... guess 'tis gonna be a jolly day!

i sat on my dusty table at the library watching everyone just strolling around. well, well, this is just one jolly day,indeed! teachers receive roses from most rambunctious studes despite the daily dose of mandates and, well, maybe sometimes, insults, their painted bright-red lips give. add there the pale lips, too. yeah, and it's oh so jolly! aside from the fact that the day's gonna be one funny parade of teachers dancing like their students have never seen, it's gonna be one day no discussion. one day no assignments. one day no irksome quizzes and seatworks! one day no classes! and at the back of their minds students yell out on the highest peak of their brains, "ALL HAIL NO TEACHERS DAY!" oh, boy, and i'm gonna yell that, too!

but then suddenly, just when i thought it's gonna be one library day, my mentor came up to me saying, " Adto na tas stage, dai...". Oh, and with her ever soft voice. Oh, and forgive me, how i really wanna strangle her. I was on my way to Linda Woolverton's Running Before The Wind when her cottony-soft voice just kicked the butt of me off my chair.

Right. So, do i have a choice? Of course not! Being a student teacher, it's just one hell of a requirement!

i sat on stage watching teachers do their silly, humiliating shows, and just got that old feeling of boredom again i usually have shoving myself along with teachers. You see, i only go along with teachers i know -- and teachers i like. Being around them ,specially with the old conventional ones, makes me feel tied up in a cage. Feels like standard setters hurl around you-- eyes searching everywhere you go, guarding everything you do. Man, this is one heck prison cell!

but then i saw this touching scene when students began giving flowers to their most loved teachers. One teacher cried hard kissing every student, who gives her roses and gifts, despite the sweat and the limpid odors they bear. She looked happy, but her eyes were real teary. I suddenly felt crying, too.

Woah, wait! Wasn't I bitter about the whole thing? Didn't i complain being on stage?

I suddenly remembered Teacher's Day back at CNU. Suddenly remembered the comics i made for my best teacher, Dr. Levi Atibula. I suddenly missed them. Suddenly realized i've long been away from school. And suddenly realized...

...this was the place i used to look at...i used to wonder why i can't stay here...i was once one of them...and i'm supposed to be there...with them...jumping...cheering for my teachers...i'm supposed to be...

...I'm a student no more.

Back in the library, one teacher passed by me, and to her i greated, " Happy Teacher's DAy." She stopped and looked back to me. " Happy Teacher's Day sad, dai! Di na man ka kinahanglan mogreat kay apil na man ka ana...so, Happy teacher's day to you!"

She left me with a smile.

I wondered. For so long, up to now, i wondered. I wondered.

Wondered....wondered.

That day another teacher came up to me and gave me four, yellow roses. " Share 'ta o." ,she said.

At that minute, I stopped my wondering. And, for a few hours, accepted the fact that i'm no longer a student. And not just a student teacher--
At the end of the program, a student went up to me, shook my hand, and said, "Happy Teacher's Day ma'am!"

--a teacher.

No comments: